CIRAD award for the best summary submitted at the first Joint AITVM-STVM International Conference, to support the participation of one young student from low and middle income countries.
CIRAD is offering an award of 3,000 USD to cover registration fee, travel expenses and accommodation for a young scientist at the first joint AITVM/STVM international conference 2016.
CIRAD is the French Agricultural Research Centre for International Development, an organization working for the sustainable development of agronomy in tropical and Mediterranean countries.
CIRAD works hand-in-hand with local people and the local environment, on complex, ever-changing issues: food security, ecological intensification, emerging diseases, the future of agriculture in developing countries.
CIRAD which belongs since a long time to AITVM and STVM, always promotes reinforcement of partner capacity building and sharing of relevant scientific results with partners from low and middle outcome countries. In this context, CIRAD considers that it is essential to give the opportunity for young scientists to participate and present their results to international conferences in order to valorise their scientific project and meet outstanding researchers specialized on veterinary medicine and animal health.
The award is to encourage and support one student from a developing country to attend the joint AITVM-STVM conference to be held in Berlin, September 4-8, 2016. The selection will be made by a committee appointed by CIRAD and based on scientific merit. The winner will be asked to prepare a 15 minute oral presentation of his/her work to the conference in Berlin.
The competition is open to veterinary and graduate students interested in tropical veterinary medicine. Only applicants from low- to middle income economies as defined by the World Bank will be eligible. A list of these countries can be found here.
All arrangements will be made with the approval of the CIRAD.
Please Note: The award covers the basic costs associated with attending the meeting. The student applicant agrees to assume responsibility for any additional expenses incurred.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND GUIDELINES
The applicant must submit the following material for evaluation:
1. Research Summary - The student will prepare a thorough and precise summary of not more than 3 typed pages describing a research or clinical medicine project performed by the applicant. The project should be in the area of tropical veterinary medicine or have direct relevance or application to it. The summary should contain a Title with all authors and institutions listed, type of research (Masters or PhD etc.), an introduction (history/motivation), materials and Methods, results or final disposition and a discussion/interpretation of these results. The project or research must be completed by the time of application and submission must be approved by all authors. The summary should convey sufficient information for the review committee to fully evaluate the project.
2. Abstract - A 400 word abstract based on the research summary will be prepared for inclusion in the conference program. The abstract should contain Title, authors, institution and concise description of the research.
3. Letters of Recommendation - The student should submit 2 letters of recommendation from faculty or professional members of the institution(s) which supported the research or clinical project. Verification of student status should be included in the recommendation.
4. Application Essay - The applicant should submit an essay of no more than 1 page indicating the students interest in tropical veterinary medicine, prior experiences and career goals.
5. Biographical Sketch - A CV should be submitted with the educational background of the applicant including academic awards, presentations or publications.
Deadline for receipt of student award application packet: March 31, 2016. Reviews will be completed by or before May 6, 2016.
The application must be submitted electronically in Microsoft word or pdf format.
Send application by e-mail only to Dr Nathalie Vachiery: email@example.com, indicating under subject: “CIRAD award to AITVM-STVM”..