The Society of Friends and Supporters of Veterinary Medicine at the Freie Universität Berlin (Gesellschaft der Freunde und Förderer der Veterinärmedizin an der Freien Universität Berlin e.V.) aims to support research and education in Veterinary Medicine and to inform the public about the activities of the Department of Veterinary Medicine at the Freie Universität Berlin.
The Society is offering five awards of 240 Euro each to cover the registration fees for up to 5 undergraduate or postgraduate students currently registered at the Freie Universität Berlin to attend the First Joint AITVM/STVM International Conference in Berlin in 2016.
These awards will only be provided to members of the ‘Society of Friends and Supporters of Veterinary Medicine at the Freie Universität Berlin’.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND GUIDELINES
The applicant must submit the following material for evaluation:
1. Research Summary - The student will prepare a summary of not more than 3 typed pages describing a research study or clinical medicine project performed by the applicant. The project should be related to, or have relevance for, the area of tropical veterinary medicine/international veterinary medicine. The Summary should contain a title with all authors and institutions listed, type of research (Student project work, MSc, PhD or equivalent), an introduction (history/motivation/rationale), materials and methods, results or final disposition and a discussion/interpretation of these results. The summary should convey sufficient information for the review committee to fully evaluate the project.
2. Abstract - a 400 word abstract based on the research summary will be prepared for inclusion in the conference program following the abstract submission format which can be found here. The submission must be approved by all authors.
3. Letter of Recommendation - a letter of recommendation from the director of the institution which supported the research or clinical project.
4. Application Essay - an essay of not more than 1 page indicating the student’s interest in tropical veterinary medicine/international veterinary medicine, prior experiences and career goals.
5. Biographical Sketch - a CV with the educational background of the applicant including academic awards, previous presentations and/or publications.
6. Studentship at Freie Universität Berlin - Verification of student status at the Freie Universität Berlin should also be included in the application.
Deadline for receipt of student award application packet: March 31, 2016.
Application materials will be evaluated by a committee appointed by the Executive Board of the Society of Friends and Supporters of Veterinary Medicine at the Freie Universität Berlin.
Reviews will be completed by or before May 6, 2016. Evaluation will be based on scientific merit, recommendations and application essay. The winners are expected to present a 15 minute oral presentation or poster of the project at the conference in Berlin.
The application must be submitted electronically in Microsoft word or pdf format by e-mail to: email@example.com